Proverbs 27:27 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Milky Whey Kidded!

I have been raising goats for 14 years and have only ever missed a few deliveries in all that time.  I am usually really good at telling when they are about to deliver.  I can usually tell with in a 24 hour period to be watching for it.  But now this is new territory working with the Nigerian Dwarfs.  I missed both Bounty's and Milky Whey's delivery!  I just like to be there just in case they need me.  Praise God these two so far did not. 
I checked all the Nigerian Dwarfs last night before I went to bed.  Everyone was laying around moaning and chewing their cud like normal.  No distress noted at all.  First thing this morning (6-25-13) my children go out to do chores and Carolyn comes running in yelling that Milky Whey had her kids, that there are Three!  Three!  As a first freshener.  Amazing to me.  Anyways.  They were still wet but she had them all cleaned off and nursing well.  Two were absolutely huge bucks marked up like her. 
White with black spotting. 
The third one was a miniscule little doeling!

I mean tiny.  So I left the bucklings with Milky Whey for her to raise and nurse and took the little girl to bottle feed.  She would never be able to compete with two huge boys like that.  And she is only taking about a half ounce to an ounce every two hours. 

But I did milk Milky Whey.  As I was to lazy to go into the house and thaw out colostrum.  So I milked a bit out for the doeling to bottle feed to her and Milky Whey is going to be a great milker.  Just stood there and let me milk her right in the stall.  Very happy with that.  Needless to say I am watching my last two pregnant Nigerians like a hawk!

Blessings and Happy Farming!
susan

No comments:

Post a Comment