Proverbs 27:27 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Gigundous Flatsided Hay Bale!




To me this is kind of a funny post today.  It just reminds me that anything can pop up, when farming, at anytime and present a challenge.  Even if it turns out to be rather an enjoyable one for men!

We don’t grow and cut our own hay.  We have tried it in the past.  Cutting, drying and raking by hand because we lacked equipment.  We are getting to old for this route.  We also tried having a local farmer who cuts many people’s fields around here for a percentage of the bales.  He cut it so late that our fields looked bad for so long and he left the hay bales sitting in the field to get rained on.  Not good for goats.  I know, I know…people say that a goat will eat anything from tin cans to laundry.  But anyone who has bred, raised and milked goats knows differently.  They are the most wasteful creatures when it comes to hay…and I am saying that in a loving way.  As I do love having goats but soon had to learn some lessons in feeding them hay.  I buy the best Bermuda  because if I get fescue or a hay mix they pick thru it and what they didn’t want, in that bite, gets dropped on the ground and they won’t eat it once it touches the ground.  (unless I put clean straw in their pen after mucking, then the dummies sort thru that and eat it!)  Also I developed a hay rack that helps tremendously.  (I will write a post on that soon)

I am picky about hay.  I am weird I know.  But I can smell it and tell how good it is.  If it smells so good it makes me hungry, it is good!  See, I told ya, weird.  I have been getting my hay for the last many years from Roland Hay Farm.  Great hay and really nice guy to work with.

I usually order square bales, to stock the barn with, in the fall, to get us thru winter.  He brings it and stacks it.  Then I use round bales for the ponies.  They usually eat one thru out the winter, out in the field (with a hay ring around it) and I put one up in the barn we tear apart and pack their hay racks with for their night munchings.  When we go to pick up a round bale dad and I drive over to their hay barns and they put a round bale on our truck by using a tractor with hay spikes .  When we get home we back the truck to where we want it and roll the bale off.  Dad, William and I, usually, easily roll it to where we want it and we are done.  We have been doing this for years and never had an issue.  Ever.

Well for the first time in 14 years we were blessed with such a large roll with such a flat side it was resting on, the three of us COULD NOT get the thing off the truck.  Could not even budge it.  sigh.  I was frustrated.  But the two men got all excited.  A new challenge!  How can we do it!??  What equipment or tools can we use!??  My idea got shot down.  I said to tie the bale to the barn with a strap and drive the truck away.  I guess that was a girl answer as I got laughed at and great gasps.  I guess it could have pulled the barn down?  Who knew?  Thank God for men.  I just stood back, let them do their thing and took pictures.  After all I just wanted a round bale where I needed it.  

Dad doesn’t have hay spikes on his tractor but went to get it, he put a strap around the bale and pulled it off the truck.  Then we drove the truck off and rolled the bale into the barn to where I wanted it.  It was still a challenge to move from the ground as it had one huge flat area (see above picture!) so once we got it going we needed the  momentum to keep it going to get it where I wanted it. 

After we had the huge hay bale in place the men went off to cut wood very satisfied with what had been accomplished.  

I haven't seen the guys so happy to take a bale off the truck in my life!  Thank you God for keeping us all safe and helping us get it where it needed to go.  

Blessings, 
 susan

No comments:

Post a Comment