Proverbs 27:27 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Moving Day for baby Chicks



The baby chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old now and were starting to get over crowded with their rapid growth.  So the kids helped me move them out of the brooder cabinet to the next set up I have for them.  
                                                The grow out pen. 
I always put it in the corner of a stall in the barn so as to cut down on drafts on two sides.  Then put up some other temporary boards on the other sides to help with drafts until they are 4 weeks old and have most of their feathers.


                      Doesn't this little Americana chick look like a little chipmunk!

The Lord helped me make the grow out pens by taking PVC (straight and angles joints), cut it and glued it together.  Then zip tied hardware mesh to it. It took me less than an hour to make each one I have.  I have used them for years.  I use these pens all the time.   
They are light weight and easy to store, up on end, out of the way when not in use.   I can easily flip one over and drag it into the barn if I need one.  They are handy for stray animals or sick animals to recover in.   I can use them outside to let some chicks, several chickens, new born baby goats or our rabbit out to get some safe exercise in the grass while I am around doing yard work.(They are definitely not sturdy enough to leave anything in where there are predators outside unsupervised)   I can move the pens easily to get the animals in them more grass as they eat what was under them or if the grass gets soiled.

When I use them for a grow out pen for chicks I put it in a stall.  Keep them in the grow out pen till they out grow that and then just lift up the grow out pen(remove it from the stall) and release them to finish growing up in the stall.  See how lazy I have gotten? 



This movable pen is made from a metal doggie playpen attached to a wood frame bottom.  It has a hardware mesh top with a plastic solid roof covering half.  I have a rope attached at the base to pull/drag it along the ground.  

Here(above and below)  are two other movable pens I made many years ago.  They are heavy and cumbersome to use.  I still use them but they are my last ones to choose.  They are built sturdy enough to leave animals in out side 24/7 as they both are predator proof. 
This pen is the iron maiden.  It is made out of horse panel with chicken wire over it.  Can we say over kill and heavy!   It is part of a chicken tractor I made once years and years ago.  Very predator proof.  VERY hard to move.  :)

The chicks are growing fast and I am enjoying watching them.  So cute!

blessings, 
susan


No comments:

Post a Comment