Proverbs 27:27 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Gardening Update

I have had such a good time gardening this year.  We have actually had regular rains this year for the first time in years.  Praise God.  This is the second year I have been using the raise beds and it really is so much easier and more productive.

I did plant the smallish ground plot down at my dads end of the property this year.  The beans didn't do well and the deer ate half of my okra plants already.  sigh.  Hopefully those deer will be thinned out during the next hunting season.  Last year we had at least 12 deer living on the property.  They ate most of our pears and my whole garden plot we planted down at my dads end of the property.  I planted the plot down at my dads end of the property this year knowing we only had about 6 deer left after hunting season living on the property now.  If they finish off the plot down there again this year, I will not replant it.

The raised beds have done well last year and this year.  The soil is so rich that the plants just really get huge.  Especially the tomato plants.  I have to keep cutting them back.

With all the rain we have been having I have had a lot of issues with leaf rot and leaf mold on the lower branches.

Squash bed and Strawberry bed.

Zucchini bed

One of my pepper beds

Asparagus bed.

 Onion barrels.

Grapes.  These grapes I planted last year on a fence.  They are Concords.  It is a toss up if they will do well in our area.  I have three rows of muscadines in the middle of the property.Those were established and here when we moved in 14 years ago.  They always produce well and do the best in our area and climate.  I thought I would just do an experiment with the Concords.

I pray you are enjoying your gardening and farming this year!  Blessings and happy farming.

susan










 

No comments:

Post a Comment