Today, I thought I would share one of my hay rack plans for anyone looking to put one out in a field for their goats. (polled or hornless goats) It was very inexpensive to make because we had everything to make it laying around the farm here.
When ever we do a project we take the good left-over scraps and put them on a pile in the shed. We affectionately call that pile, Papa Depo's. When ever we do a project we always look in the shed to see what we have available before going to Home Depo to buy anything. :)
Again, make this at your own risk and it is based on the plans for my hay saving hay rack for goats.
Two years ago I wanted to have a hay rack out in one of my buck fields for my goats. I wanted it to be hay saving like the ones I invented for in the barn but yet keep the hay dry and be easy to fill.
What I came up with was this. Not to pretty but very functional and again it was the right price as we had all we needed to build it laying around the farm. So it was just labor and we built it in less than a day.
The outside part of it is one of those cages that huge water tanks come in. I had a bunch laying around here that I use for extra quick pens for baby animals. Here are two I have laying in a field so you can see what I am talking about.
My dad and William helped me build this one. I took the water tank cage and cut a goat sized hole into what I wanted to be the front. (I used a saw zaw (recipricating saw) with a demolition blade)
Then cut a hog panel (that their heads fit thru the squares) to fit down the back third and secured it with zip ties and wire.
Then I bent the hog panel below the neck high square, at an angle to go behind that, to hold the hay slanting toward the back like in my origional design and cut a board to fit over it so the hay would not fall thru.
Then we took some thin tin we had laying around here and secured it to the outside by puting small boards on the inside to screw thru the tin into. So the cage was sandwiched inbetween the tin on the out side and thin board strips on the inside. (I used 2x2's)
I then build a hinged lid for the top and put some siding on it to keep some rain off it. It turned out very well.
Then this fall I needed another one of these before winter hit. I needed the one we had built for some baby bucklings and a new one for a field for my full grown bucks.
Our faithful dog, Yellow, watching us do our project and guarding the goats.
We love him dearly.
I did not have the time to make one like we did before. So Carolyn and I built this one in a few hours.
These are cheap and easy to make. I made both of these totally from scraps we had laying around here. Even the siding we used for the roofs to help protect the plywood from rain was just laying around here.
Hope this helps give some ideas to anyone thinking on this subject.
Blessings and Happy farming!